Coastal wetlands are disappearing at an alarming rate, despite their importance to ocean and coastal health, humans and the economy. We talk with Megan Cooper, Project Analyst at the State Coastal Conservancy, about how coastal restoration provides benefits to the environment and the economy. Restored wetlands provide habitat for birds, nurseries for marine life, flood protection, jobs, revenue and beautiful natural landscapes.
Everyday Action: Visit your local wetlands: see wildlife, go birding or take a tour to learn more about the important role wetlands play in our ocean and coastal health.
For more information, please visit:
- Southern California Wetlands Recovery Project
- South San Diego Bay Restoration Project
- California Wetlands
- California Coastal Conservancy
- Elkhorn Slough Safari Tour
- Find a Wetland Near You
- National Estuarine Research Reserve System
- Bolsa Chica Wetlands Tour
This Thank You Ocean Podcast was produced for the California Thank You Ocean Campaign by EarthNews Journal staff (Jerry Kay, Host and Chris Kay, Producer).